Sunday, April 20, 2008

Winding down

No pictures this time, sorry :)

 Well, my time here is coming to a close, I'm leaving on May 9, which is 19 days from today, April 20. My parents arrive in three days, classes are over, and I am turning in my last final on the 23rd, and I give my last speech on that day too. Semesters always sneak up on me like that. Before I know it the semester is over and it's been another three months. 

This semester has been far from normal and I've enjoyed it very much.  I've learned a lot of Japanese, and a great deal about Japanese politics, but what I learned about the most wasn't something I got from the classroom. I know it sounds cliche and trite, but I really have learned a lot, mostly about myself and other people. 

The experience has been very empowering for me on the whole and I think it has been worth all the time and effort I've put into it. I don't really have any regrets, except that I don't know Japanese better. I wish I knew the language better so that I could communicate better with the people on a personal level. I've had no trouble visiting, going to school, buying food and necessities, and having a good time. It would be a might more difficult if I didn't have a social group pre-constructed by my university, and if I had to find my own housing and work. Though, on the whole, what I've done was a good match for me.

No comments: