Saturday, February 2, 2008

Ghibli Museum -Mitaka and Harajuku (Saturday 1/26/08 and Sunday 1/27/08)

Saturday the 26th was a really big day. I was up for Sumo and then I went to the studio Ghibli museum on the edge of Tokyo in Mitaka city for the afternoon. The Ghibli museum features exhibits about Studio Ghibli films, such as Spirited Away, Nausicaa Valley of the Wind, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, and more. I've seen many of the movies, they're all Japanese anime, but they're usually also done in English, a few have even been released in American theaters. The movies usually focus on pollution or human corruption and have a strong female character. I like them very much.

I took this picture on Friday, technically, but I didn't want to make a separate post about it. Subaru isn't particularly common, but there are some unique vans here.
See? Can't get these in America without a bunch of trouble. I don't know how to ask what model a car is, so I don't know what they're called.

These dogs outside of the Subaru dealership made me think of home because my old girl, Chloe, is a German Short-haired Pointer, just like these dogs. She's almost 13 years old now, and I've had her since she was a pup, I miss her.

We're not allowed to take pictures inside the museum, so I took a picture of the outside. 
We could, however take pictures on the roof. This is a sculpture of a robot from the movie Castle in the Sky.

:)

And me, in front of a block from the Castle in the Sky.

The next day, Sunday 1/27/08, I went to Harajuku again to go window shopping and hopefully find a pair of cute boots on sale since it's nearly the end of the winter, and I ran across this statue. I don't know what it is or why it's there, because I can't read Japanese.

I also went to Shibuya and there was a van parked outside of the train station. This van is a common sight in Tokyo, I'm told, it's members of the ultra-nationalist/ultra-right wing political party shouting at passer-bys. I learned about their existence in class, and I was exited to see them. I don't think they liked me taking pictures, but as far as I can tell, they didn't ask me to stop, so I didn't.
A close-up. They're not very popular among general public opinion, but they're generally ignored and law enforcement turns a blind eye to their excessive loudness and blocking of the flow of traffic.

Bathrooms are fancy. I took these photos from inside the sumo stadium, but the toilet had so many buttons! The most important and oft used one is the flushing sound one, apparently Japanese women are self conscious about others hearing them pee, so they would flush the toilets repeatedly, so to save on water most places have installed "flush sound" makers in each stall.


I love this sink. On the left, automatic soap dispenser. In the middle, automatic water faucet, on the right, automatic air dryer. 

No comments: